I L O V E to eat this.
There is a lot of fresh flavor and decadent texture in this bowl. Plus, lurking underneath all those bodacious veggies is black rice, or “forbidden” rice, which feels a bit wicked.
Plus, LOOK at it! I think it is as pretty as can be, and that makes me all the happier to eat it. What can I say, I’m ruled by Venus!
A bit about Forbidden Rice:
Folklore suggests that in ancient China, black rice was considered the crème de la crème of all grains, therefore it was only to be ingested by the Emperor. This meant it was forbidden for anyone else to eat it, which only makes everyone want to eat it more…but It was Forbidden!
Luckily, us commoners can now enjoy forbidden rice, and keep our heads.
Which is good, because black rice is nutritionally outstanding. It contains 18 amino acids and micronutrients such as iron, zinc, and copper. The grain is also high in anthocyanin antioxidants, which commonly turn up in high quantities in super foods such as acai berries, blueberries, other dark colored berries, and purple cabbage. Plus, black rice has about as much fiber as brown rice, making this stuff covetable indeed.
Forbidden Rainbow Bowl
- Cooked Forbidden Black Rice
- Butternut squash, baked and cut into rounds
- Broccoli sprouts
- Sunflower sprouts (just a couple!)
- Sunflower seeds, lightly toasted
- Purple cabbage, chopped
- Edamame, (organic and non-gmo) thawed
- Spring onions, chopped
- Some of my Robust & Regal kimchi
- Spinach leaves, shredded
- For Dressing:
- 1 T tahini
- 2 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 T Apple Cider Vinegar
- Prepare the black rice in a rice cooker using coconut milk, 1 1/2 cup liquid to 1 cup rice. (of course you could use brown rice too, it just wouldn't be so devious).
- Add a bunch of beautiful vegetables!
- To assemble, cover a mound of the forbidden rice with a cacophony of color, texture, and taste. Add as little or as much of the vegetables suggested, or go crazy and add some of your own favorites.
- For the dressing, add all ingredients to a jar, and shake it up real hard! That’s it!(Adjust for your taste/quantities needed)
- Add salt a pepper if you want to get real fancy.
Serve with Simple Tahini Dressing on the side.
Add an extra side of R&R Kimchi.
It's also tasty to have Tamari or Bragg's Liquid Amino Acids available, as well as some hot sauce!
A Forbidden Feast!